This mat has pretty much fallen in line with the comments I read before buying it, but a little work and a little patience has really paid off. 1)It stinks badly at first but I tried using the apple cider vinegar and then letting it lay open in my garage and that took care of most of the smell. 2)To my disappointment it was slippery on the hands when doing downward facing dog. That was one of the major reasons for me wanting a new mat. I spoke with other people in the class who have Manduka mats and they said it takes a little time but eventually that would go away, and, thankfully, for the most part it has. Now, I use a towel when I first start class but soon after I am working towel-free. Based on the progress I've made, I assume eventually I will not need one at all. 3)It is heavy, there isn't much that can be done about that. I figure I am going to work out so why cry about carrying around a few extra pounds before/after class. 4)5mm provides enough cushion for the knees. With my other mat, I needed to reinforce the cushion with an addition mat. I no longer need a second mat during my practice which I love. So, I was nervous when I first got this mat becuase it seemed to live up to all the bad stuff people had been saying about it, but after a little patience and perserverence, it is my favorite mat, and since it is a Manduka, I will get the pleasure of using it for years.
Read More Reviews on Manduka eKO 71-Inch 5mm Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat...